How to Make a Kitty Litter Cake
Are you looking to make a kitty litter cake for your next Halloween party or casual office gathering? Here’s a kitty litter box dessert that’s guaranteed to make people laugh. Is it tasty or in poor taste? Allow your friends and family to judge for themselves.
Last year one of my aunts sent me a cat litter cake recipe and apologized profusely afterwards. She needn’t have worried. As a cat lover and animal rescuer with several litter boxes throughout the house, I find this kind of feline humor right up my alley.
Kitty litter cakes are especially popular at office potlucks. The Halloween favorite is often found—albeit untouched—at the holiday buffet table. So where did this idea originate? Anna Vigliotti of Saint Paul, Minnesota is credited for inventing the kitty litter cake in the early 1990s. Broken up pieces of cake blended with crumbled sugar cookies and Jell-O instant pudding create the litter mixture. Partially melted Tootsie Rolls are carefully shaped to resemble feline feces. These sugary delights are then placed strategically among the “litter.”
Though there have been many humorous presentation options over the years, the kitty litter cake is typically served in a regular cat litter box. A new and uninitiated cat pooper scooper is placed alongside for serving the cake. Some litter box cakes are placed on a sheet of newspaper for added effect.
Cat Lover Wall Decal
The cat litter cake is a favorite at Halloween parties, though it is considered by party poopers to be juvenile and childish. Surprise your friends with one of the most popular Gross-Out Cakes of all time at your next Halloween event. A basic kitty litter cake recipe is provided below, along with step-by-step instructions and flavor variation suggestions to make your kitty litter cake taste as good as it looks.
Kitty litter cake ingredients are listed here, but it isn’t necessary to follow the recipe to the letter. Get creative and experiment with different flavor combinations. Our favorite is chocolate cake with peanut butter cookies and cheesecake pudding. We’ve also added crushed Butterfinger bars to the cake layer for additional sweetness and crunchiness.
Brimming with sugary goodness—and festooned with Tootsie Roll turds—the kitty litter cake is the cat’s meow, and is sure to delight the crazy cat lady in your circle of friends.
Kitty Litter Cake Recipe
Cat Litter Cake Ingredients
1 box German Chocolate or Spice Cake Mix
1 box White Cake Mix
1 package (12 or 16 oz) White Sandwich Cookies
1 large package Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
A few drops Green Food Coloring
12 small Tootsie Rolls
Serving Dishes & Utensils (New Only!)
1 cat-litter box
1 pooper scooper
1 cat-litter box liner (optional)
Kitty Litter Cake Instructions
How to Make a Kitty Litter Cake
- Prepare and bake cake mixes according to directions.
- Prepare pudding mix and chill.
- Crumble cookies in small batches in a blender or food processor.
- Add a few drops of green food coloring to 1 cup of cookie crumbs.
- Mix with a fork or shake in a jar. Set aside.
- When cakes are cooled, crumble them into a large bowl.
- Toss with half of the remaining cookie crumbs and enough pudding to make the mixture moist, but not soggy.
- Place liner in litter box (optional) and dump in the cake mixture.
- Unwrap 3 Tootsie Rolls and heat in a microwave until soft and pliable.
- Shape the blunt ends into slightly curved points.
- Repeat with 3 more Tootsie Rolls.
- Bury the rolls decoratively in the cake mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining white cookie crumbs over the mixture, then scatter green crumbs lightly over top.
- Heat 5 more Tootsie Rolls until almost melted.
- Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle with crumbs from the litter box.
- Heat the remaining Tootsie Roll until pliable and hang it over the edge of the box.
- Place box on a sheet of newspaper in middle of table and serve with litter scooper.
How to Make Kitty Litter Cake
Kitty Litter Cake Step-By-Step
Photographs Courtesy of Michael_Lehet on Flickr
Bake Cakes and Prepare Pudding
Cut Cakes Into Small Squares
Place Cake Squares in Litter Box and Crumble
Toss with Cookie Crumbs and Pudding Until Moist
Sprinkle White Cookie Crumbs Over Mixture
Scatter Green Crumbs Lightly Over Top
Melt Tootsie Rolls in Microwave
Bury Tootsie Roll Turds in Cake Mixture
Hang a Tootsie Roll on Litter Box Edge
Serve with a Fresh Litter Scooper
Make a Kitty Litter Cake
Only the Freshest Kitty Litter Cake Ingredients Will Do!
German chocolate, spice, and white cake mix flavors are suggested in the basic recipe, but you can use any flavors you like. Have fun and experiment with different flavor combinations. We’re including a gluten-free cake mix option as well.
White Sandwich Cookies
Sandwich cremes are crumbled to give texture to the cat litter. Vienna Fingers work very well, or you can choose gluten-free cookies.
Vanilla Instant Pudding
Vanilla pudding adds moisture to the cat litter mix and binds everything together. Instant pudding is fast and easy to prepare. Choose from Jell-O brand or a gluten-free instant pudding option.
Green Food Color
Green food color gives the cat litter a visual appeal, resembling odor controlling particles. Liquid food color works well, but some chefs prefer food color paste.
As garnishes go, Tootsie Roll cat feces provide the pièce de résistance! You can’t have too many Tootsie Rolls in October. Buy the value bags and hand them out to trick-or-treaters.
Present your kitty litter cake in a medium-sized litter pan and serve with a brand new litter scooper. You can also add a litter pan liner. Many hostesses place the cat litter cake on a sheet of newspaper for added effect.
Cat Lover Wall Decal
Another Kitty Litter Cake Recipe
Gross-Out Cakes: The Kitty Litter Cake and Other Classics
by Kathleen Barlow and Britney Schetselaar
Chat Noir Hotel Sign
Black Cat Halloween Party Set
After you make a kitty litter cake, you’ll definitely want to serve it in style. This adorable black cat kit has everything you’ll need for up to 16 people. Included in the 145-piece coordinated set are 9.25-inch dinner plates, 7-inch cake plates, 9-ounce cups, lunch napkins, beverage napkins, plastic utensils (fork, spoons, knives), and a tablecloth.
Halloween Fun Shopping
Missed Something? Go Back
- 1 How to Make a Kitty Litter Cake
- 2 Cat Lover Wall Decal
- 3 Kitty Litter Cake Recipe
- 4 Kitty Litter Cake Instructions
- 5 How to Make Kitty Litter Cake
- 6 Kitty Litter Cake Step-By-Step
- 7 Bake Cakes and Prepare Pudding
- 8 Cut Cakes Into Small Squares
- 9 Place Cake Squares in Litter Box and Crumble
- 10 Toss with Cookie Crumbs and Pudding Until Moist
- 11 Sprinkle White Cookie Crumbs Over Mixture
- 12 Scatter Green Crumbs Lightly Over Top
- 13 Melt Tootsie Rolls in Microwave
- 14 Bury Tootsie Roll Turds in Cake Mixture
- 15 Hang a Tootsie Roll on Litter Box Edge
- 16 Serve with a Fresh Litter Scooper
- 17 Make a Kitty Litter Cake
- 18 Cake Mixes
- 19 White Sandwich Cookies
- 20 Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 21 Green Food Color
- 22 Tootsie Rolls
- 23 Serving Accessories
- 24 Cat Lover Wall Decal
- 25 Another Kitty Litter Cake Recipe
- 26 Chat Noir Hotel Sign
- 27 Black Cat Halloween Party Set
- 28 Courtesies
- 29 Halloween Fun Shopping